Pages

Monday 8 June 2015

#Microblog Mondays: Body image

It's been blazing hot here and so this morning we decided to take Girl Wonder off for her first taste of the local outdoor swimming pool.

Sitting on the lawn surrounded by women of all ages, many with kids and grandkids, lots on their own or in groups, it struck me how at ease the women here are with their bodies. They look comfortable in their own skins. I think it has a lot to do with generally more relaxed attitudes towards nudity and sexuality in this culture, (all family-friendly pools here, including the one we frequent, have nude bathing sections), and it's wonderful and liberating to be around.

The women (and men) here seem unencumbered by the tiresome body image issues that characterize women's attitudes to their appearance where I come from; the perception of body parts as too fat, too thin, too round, too pointy, too fair, too dark, too freckly, too hairy, too wrinkly. It's something I admire, and it's a good environment in which to raise a daughter.

Speaking of said daughter, here are some gratuitous Girl Wonder shots from today, just because.




10 comments:

  1. I completely agree. It's such a detriment that body image is so scrutinized in many parts of the world. That we focus on the negative and what is "ugly" instead of seeing the beauty in different shapes and forms.

    Love the photos of Girl Wonder! Looks like the pool was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! body image issues are so pervasive in some cultures that it's easy to forget that it doesn't have to be that way. I think people should enjoy their bodies for whatever they are. Especially at the pool/beach. If you want to wear a bikini, wear a freaking bikini already! (with sunscreen, of course). Of course even betting if there's an option to wear nothing hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a love she is! Love that smile!

    I struggle with this so much - I look back at pics from my younger days and feel sad that I wasted any energy on feeling too this or that. I try to remind myself of that... You are lucky to be in a culture that embraces bodies as they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute pictures. It is a healthy place to raise a child. I struggle with keeping in check how I speak about my body in front of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's great they are so open with body image, that has to be such a different environment than here!

    And oh my goodness! She has grown so much and she is SO ADORABLE :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the first pic especially.

    It sounds like a great place to raise a child

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl Wonder is adorable as always, and I'm glad she will be growing up in a not-so judgmental environment.
    I just spent a week at the beach with not-really-shaved legs. In part I'm just lazy about it, and then H forgot the charger for his razor, which I had intended to borrow. Maybe people looked a little funny, maybe I'm just imagining it. Fortunately I was too busy with my baby most of the time to care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely place this must be!! Your girl is beautiful! What a sweet smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happy photos! :) I find the same thing in Hungary, folks seems quite relaxed at the lake with all kinds of bathing suits and body types.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is so adorable and happy. Love these pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, leave a comment. Your words brighten my day!